This past week we have been talking about creativity in class. To get us in the " mood " of creativity we started the week off with a Ted Talk. The Ted Talk focused on younger kids and how their creativity is shut down in school and how to break out that barrier. We then moved into an activity of " New Introductions". During this activity we had to find a new way to introduce our selves. Then we had to read an article about creativity in learning and life.
During the Ted Talks, we were to take notes on what we thought was interesting or just straight facts. I'll be honest, I didn't take that many notes but one note that really stick out to me is that 13% of your brain is your creativity. Honestly, I would think it would be way lower. I wouldn't call myself the most creative guy and I didn't at first believe it because when I self reflect I think of myself as a sack of potatoes not a creative genius. A question that I have been thinking about lately is " Does school suppress creativity" and honestly I am a believer that it does. Before you go bashing on my opinion hear me out. Schools are designed to have you sit in rows, raise your hands when you want to think and be there for 7 hours a day with a 45 minute break. I don't know if it's just me but I need to be doing things in order to think, I can't be cooped up in a desk that I barely fit it and be expected to be the next Albert Einstein.
Anyways, the activity we had to do was introduce yourself in a new way. I chose to introduce myself with 10 items from my bucket list. For example, I listed some items from my bucket list which are, 1. Seeing the Aurora Borealis, 2. Go Parasailing and 3. Go skydiving with my closest friends. The list continues but you get the point. This activity was actually quite difficult for me because I didn't know me as well as I thought I did. I did find it interesting though how we introduced ourselves then just " Hi I am Matthew nice to meet you ".
In the Gale Academic Article, it's an interview with two college professors that research creativity. There is this specific quote that stands out to me which is " A bad risk would be for a student who likes to write poetry deciding to write poems on a final exam in math instead of completing the math problems. ". Essentially, this professor is talking about is why should we force someone that is interested in poetry forced to do math. Like, let the pursue what they want to pursue, don't force someone into doing something they don't want to do.
Shifting to my film project, my film is going to be fiction. What is this going to be? It's going to be a kid that one day before he goes to sleep dreams about becoming a referee just like his dad was. He then goes to sleep and enters this " Dream " of him being a referee at a game. This first shot of the kid in the bed in going to be a close up of the kid's face and then that's it. When it goes to the basketball game, there's going to be a bunch of long shots since it will be hard to capture anything else and there is also going to be mid shots for a pregame shoot. The sound is all going to be diegetic, the sound you here is going to be raw sound.
Overall, creativity is a big aspect in our lives. Whether it's for academics or personal use, we need it. After this past week I have really noticed that creativity is needed all throughout life not just in the beginning of your life.
Comments
Post a Comment